1 whole chicken
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons turmeric, ground
2 tablespoons cumin, ground
1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
¼ teaspoon cardamom, ground
1 lb. yukon gold potatoes
1 lb. celery root
½ lb. parsnips
1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the turmeric, cumin, black pepper and cardamom.
- Pat the chicken dry inside and out with a paper towel. Season with the salt and the spice mixture. Pack any excess seasoning that falls off the chicken on top. Set in a refrigerator overnight or on a counter, covered with a loose paper towel, for up to 3 hours.
- In an 8 qt pot, place the chicken and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours until tender. Using a large spoon, gently lift out the chicken and put in a large bowl.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic to the stock and cook until softened about one half hour.
- Peel the potatoes, celery root and parsnips, cut into approximately 1 ½ pieces.
- Using tongs, pick the meat off the bones and pull apart into large chunks. Discard the bones and cartilage.
- Place the vegetables into the pot and cook at a low simmer until fork tender.
- Add the chicken back into the pot and simmer for 10-15 more minutes.
- Garnish each bowl with the chopped cilantro.