½ lb. brussels sprouts
½ cup canola oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
½ + ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 cup salt-cured black olives, pitted
1 lemon, juiced
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Cut the stems off the Brussels and slice in half from top to bottom. Season the Brussels in a large mixing bowl with the canola oil and tablespoon of salt.
- Zest the skin of the orange into a separate mixing bowl then juice the orange into thebowl with the zest. Add the honey, vinegar, chili flakes and ½ cup of olive oil. Whisk everything together to make the vinaigrette and set aside.
- Put the pitted black olives, lemon juice and ¼ cup olive oil in a food processor. Puree the olives into a tapenade, until pureed but not completely smooth.
- Lay the Brussels sprouts with the cut side down into the cast iron skillet. If there’s any excess oil in the bowl scrape it into the pan.
- Heat the pan on medium heat. The Brussels sprouts will slowly caramelize after about 5-6 minutes to a deep brown color. Once they are charred on the cut side stir the pan around to cook the other side and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Evenly pour the vinaigrette over the Brussels sprouts. Mix gently to coat. Drizzle the olive tapenade on top and then evenly sprinkle the parsley to garnish.