MIYABI Kaizen II 8-inch, Gyutoh

$149.99
$179.99
-17 %

Traditional Japanese craftsmanship combined with modern engineering and design

• Handcrafted in Seki, Japan
  • Double ice-hardened blade for superior corrosion resistance
  • Comfortable D-shaped black Pakkawood handle
Miyabi Kaizen II 8-inch Chef's Knife is rated 4.9 out of 5 by 594.
  • y_2024, m_3, d_27, h_9
  • bvseo_bulk, prod_bvrr, vn_bulk_3.0.38
  • cp_1, bvpage1
  • co_hasreviews, tv_162, tr_432
  • loc_en_US, sid_34681-203, prod, sort_[SortEntry(order=RELEVANCE, direction=DESCENDING)]
  • clientName_zwillingonline
  • bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 17.1.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
  • CLOUD, getAggregateRating, 7ms
  • reviews, product
{"black-20-cm_8.00-inch":{"color":{"displayName":"black matte","ID":"black","isSelectable":true,"isSelected":true,"isColorSwatch":true,"swatchClass":"selectable","swatchImageUrl":{},"resourceVariationNotAvailable":"color black matte is not available for this combination"},"size":{"displayName":"8.00 inch","ID":"20-cm_8.00-inch","isSelectable":true,"isSelected":true,"isColorSwatch":false,"swatchClass":"selectable","resourceVariationNotAvailable":"size 8.00 inch is not available for this combination"},"productId":"34681-203-0","linkUrl":{},"isOrderableInMaster":true,"isStockAvailable":true}}
In Stock
Add to cart options
Product Actions
Availability:

Earn 149 points in our free Rewards Program.

Free shipping above $59 Hassle-free returns Direct from manufacturer

Description

This 8-inch chef’s knife is a razor-sharp all-around knife, perfect for just about any prep task in the kitchen. Chop herbs, dice onions, and mince garlic with confidence and ease.

MIYABI moves one step closer to perfection with Kaizen II – Japanese for “improvement” or "change for the better." Handcrafted in Seki, Japan, a city renowned for the highest quality cutlery production, the Kaizen II collection boasts traditional Japanese craftsmanship combined with the best hardening technology and beautiful modern design.

The core, forged from resilient FC61 super steel, is protected by a stunning 48 layers of stainless steel. And MIYABI Kaizen II knives are as beautiful as they are functional. The blades’ gorgeous flower Damascus pattern is dramatically darkened through acid dipping. The double FRIODUR® ice-hardened blade makes for improved corrosion resistance and astonishing durability. Artisans hand-hone the blades using the venerable four-step Honbazuke method. This fine attention to detail translates into a work of art that is the ultimate in precision cutting.

The blade is balanced by a substantial D-shaped handle made of black pakkawood. Effortless to hold, the classic Japanese “D”-shape handle offers a comfortable grip for stress-free cutting. This striking handle truly matches the caliber of the blade.

• Revolutionary FC61 steel core features fine carbide distribution and is protected by a durable 48 layers of damast steel
  • Fine carbide distribution creates a razor-sharp and durable blade with a 61 Rockwell hardness
  • Double ice-hardened FRIODUR® blade offers remarkable durability and cutting edge retention
  • Blade is hand-honed using the historic Honbazuke method to an exceptionally sharp 9.5 to 12°
  • Authentic, thin Japanese blade profile
  • Ergonomic handle is made of black Pakkawood and stylishly stamped with a mosaic pin. End cap features the MIYABI logo.
  • Stylish, strong handle features an improved thicker and rounded bolster for increased comfort and balance.
  • Handcrafted in Seki, Japan

Specifications

• Item no. 34681-203
Characteristics
  • Color: black matte
  • Country of origin: Japan
  • Substance: FC61
  • Type of handle: concealed tang
  • Type of edge: fine edge
  • Edge finishing: Honbazuke edge
  • Manufacturing method: welded
  • Blade hardness (HRC): 60-62 HRC
  • Colour handle: black matte
  • Substance handle: pakka Wood
Measurements
  • Net weight: 0.44 lbs
  • Length of product: 13.46 in
  • Width of product: 0.98 in
  • Height of product: 2.01 in
  • Blade length: 7.87 in
  • Handle length: 5.39 in
  • Handle width: 0.98 in
  • Blade width: 0.04 in
MIYABI Kaizen II 8-inch, Gyutoh
4.9 (594)
-17% 179.99
Added to basket View basket checkout
Miyabi Kaizen II 8-inch Chef's Knife is rated 4.9 out of 5 by 594.
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Excellent Knife Everything about this product shows its attention to detail, from the excellent craftsmanship of the handle, to the beautiful blade, and even the package it is in. The blade comes out razor sharp, and once you use the knife for a few hours, it the thought into the grip for the ergonomics and control really come forth. Despite it not being flagship of this brand, the thought and execution of this product is most satisfactory, and I personally enjoy the use of this knife now and for the foreseeable future. (That is until I upgrade this chefs knife for another one of their products)
Date published: 2021-05-26
Rated 5 out of 5 by from New kind of toughness Japanese knives have always been known to be incredibly sharp. Anyone that has owned one knows that sharpness sometimes comes with a price; they are prone to chipping. This is due to the fact that what makes them so sharp is a thinner blade and a very thin edge. Kaizen II has conquered that problem with a new type of steel, FC61. It is extremely durable and very chip resistant. Guytoh (ya know you're getting an authentic Japanese knife) or Chef knife can be the work horse in your kitchen. Chopping veggies or slicing meat, it can handle most tasks with ease. Aside from being a work horse, it's incredibly beautiful with the damascus design. The D shaped handle, again true to Japanese heritage, fits nicely in the palm of your hand.
Date published: 2020-04-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Overall a great knife I am just a beginner chef and this is my first "real" knife, but of all the knives I have held or tried this one has spoke to me the most. First of all, it's a beautiful knife and I really love the way the blade and handle look. The grip feels really good in the hand and the balance is fantastic. Additionally, I really like the shape of the bolster, it's great for both a pinch grip and a pointed finger grip. The real selling point for me was the slight curve of the blade, I liked it better than some of the other flatter options. Overall, this is a great all purpose knife, especially for the price, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a first knife or expanding their collection.
Date published: 2021-06-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Sharp, balanced and the perfect size I cook daily for my family and derive a lot of pleasure from a well crafted knife. I began with clunkier German knives but find that I enjoy the finer edge and easier handling of Japanese knives. I’ve used MAC and Kan knives for the past two years and enjoyed them. This knife is a substantial improvement. It is as sharp as you would expect, but for me, the real difference has been the long, thinner blade balanced with a slightly larger handle. The balance point is perfect for using a pinch grip, just where the ebony meets metal. This makes knife work a pleasure, even the fussier cuts.
Date published: 2022-11-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Love it! And comparison with Kaizen Just got this a couple of days ago and am loving it so far. I actually couldn't decide between this and the original Kaizen, and actually got the Kaizen first. However, beautiful as it was, I just couldn't get used to the super smooth and smaller handle on the Kaizen, esp. coming from a 4 star which I've been using for about 25-30 years now. Yes, it was beautifully made and finished, but it just felt like I couldn't get a firm grip. I ended up returning the I and getting a II Now, on to the Kaizen II vs I comparison. It's really such a different knife from the Kaizen that I don't know why Miyabi/Zwilling just decided to slap a "II" onto the Kaizen. You can get all the spec diffs from the website, but here are my observations from having handled both: - The steel and damascus color and pattern are totally different. The Kaizen II has almost 2 different steel colors forming the pattern, a matt gray and silver contrast, which makes the damascus very "unsubtle", and more unique. The Kaizen has a more traditional all shiny silver pattern, just like any other damascus out there. The website photos are quite accurate. - The handle on the II is much beefier all round than the I, and has a slight belly. Also, the pakkawood has more of a satin finish, compared with a super smooth shiny finish on the micarta on the I. These 2 factors for me made the II a much more comfortable knife to hold. Yes, the I has one more ring of red near the bolster, but that is purely an aesthetic, not functional thing. - The blade on the II is just a smidge taller, at about 1 15/16" at the heel, vs. about 1 3/4" for the I. - The balance point of both knives are about the same, right at the bolster. Overall, I'm much happier with the II than the I. It's a lot lighter than my 4 star Zwilling 8" chefs, so will probably take a bit of getting used to, but so far, am really liking it.
Date published: 2020-08-02
Rated 4 out of 5 by from So far so good This is my first Japanese style knife. It definitely feels different than its German counterparts and it's taking me some time to feel like it's as "sharp." I'm sure it is but I'm having a bit more difficulty cutting than I normally would (likely because of the different weight). Otherwise, it looks great and I'll either get used to it the way it is or need to sharpen it. I have noticed that the Damascus is developing some cosmetic blemishes (lines after washing with a gentle sponge, drying, and storing in a blade guard) but that shouldn't impact performance.
Date published: 2020-11-17
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing customer service I never thought in a million years that I would spend money on a quality knife, but Kurt, the sales associate at the Tysons Corner location, Kurt made me re value my perception of knifes; he took the time to show me and walk me through the differences of materials and purposes, I decided to go with the Miyabi Kaisen 8’’, and I love it!!! I never thought a knife could be so sharp! I can literally cut anything with it!. Not only that it feels right like an extension of my arm!! I mean it has the perfect weight and the look is so sophisticated. I'm in love ❤️
Date published: 2022-02-26
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great introduction to high end chef knives After you leave the Ikea and Target box set realm of chef knives and want something better performing but you can't quite justify a $450 Kramer designed knife, or especially a $3000 Kramer original with a year+ wait, this feels like a nice intro into that world. The blade is light and lively, but the handle feels weighty and secure. The bolster, for me, is perfectly accommodating to a pinch grip without the knife trying to kick away from my palm, plus the bolster doesn't get in the way when you're sharpening like a Mercer or Wustoff tend to do.
Date published: 2022-01-16
  • y_2024, m_3, d_27, h_9
  • bvseo_bulk, prod_bvrr, vn_bulk_3.0.38
  • cp_1, bvpage1
  • co_hasreviews, tv_162, tr_432
  • loc_en_US, sid_34681-203, prod, sort_[SortEntry(order=RELEVANCE, direction=DESCENDING)]
  • CLOUD, getContent, 5ms
  • reviews, product

Is this a full tang knife? TY

Asked by: DrAwkward
3/4 Tang
Answered by: ZWILLING
Date published: 2023-11-10

Is this knife for both L and R hand?

Asked by: mary83
Thank you for contacting Zwilling Miyabi! Yes, our Fine Edge Blade Knives are double beveled, and the Handle is ambidextrous. Which can be easily used by left and right-handed Consumers. Thank you! Regards, Zwilling Miyabi
Date published: 2021-07-19

Is it a double beveled knife? 

Asked by: Shaun123
Yes
Date published: 2021-03-04

Can you use the miyabi sharpner or do you have to use whetstones to sharpen this knife?

Asked by: Chris P
You can use any Miyabi brand handheld sharpener or stone with this knife.
Date published: 2020-10-19
  • y_2024, m_3, d_27, h_9CST
  • bvseo_bulk, prod_bvqa, vn_bulk_3.0.38
  • cp_1, bvpage1
  • co_hasquestionsanswers, tq_4
  • loc_en_US, sid_34681-203, prod, sort_[SortEntry(order=LAST_APPROVED_ANSWER_SUBMISSION_TIME, direction=DESCENDING)]
  • CLOUD, getContent, 5ms
  • questions, product