INGREDIENTS2 large onions
1 clove garlic
16 pimiento peppers (or 4 green peppers)
2 lbs ripe tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
4 slices cured ham
Salt and freshly ground pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Peel and chop onion
- Trim and seed peppers; slice thinly
- Peel and seed tomatoes; chop coarsely
- Peel and finely chop the garlic
- In the braiser, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry the onions over a medium heat
- When the onion goes transparent, add the peppers and garlic; continue cooking
- Finally add the tomatoes; bring to a high heat and cook until the water evaporates, mixing well with a wooden or silicone spoon. Add salt and pepper. Lower heat then cover and simmer for one hour.
- Just before serving, beat the eggs in a bowl and add to the braiser whilst stirring continuously. Turn off the heat when the eggs are cooked to your liking. Adjust the seasoning. Fry the ham slices in the remaining oil. Add pepper.
- Serve the Piperade with the fried ham.