BROCCOLI RABE PIZZA WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND BURRATA Italian cuisine is centered around using a few high-quality ingredients really, really well. That is the inspiration behind this stuffing, in which Italian sausage and dried figs play off each other in salty-sweet harmony. Serve with Turkey Roulade with Sage and Orange for a festive holiday menu that goes beyond the usual suspects. Or why not make this as a weeknight side when you want to use up leftover bread?
Two 10 inch pizzas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive
- oil, plus more for bowl
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili flakes, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces burrata cheese, torn into 2-inch pieces
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- To make the dough: Add the yeast and water to a small bowl. Let yeast proof for about 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough blade, add the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. With the motor running, drizzle in the yeast mixture. Pulse until dough comes together in a ball.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a medium bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, coating the dough with the olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough proof for about 2 to 3 hours at room temperature, until puffy. You may also proof the dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- While the dough is proofing, make the topping: Caramelize the onions by placing a fry pan over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions. Cook the onions for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown, adding a couple tablespoons of water at a time if the pan gets dry. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and blanch the broccoli rabe for about 1 minute, or until the broccoli rabe turns bright green. Carefully remove from the water and place in an ice bath. Once the broccoli rabe is cool, remove and let dry on a paper towel. Roughly chop into 2-inch pieces.
- In the same fry pan used for the onions, add 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli rabe and large pinch of salt, and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the broccoli rabe is just tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Assemble the pizza by dividing the dough into two. Roll out the dough into a 10-inch round. Place the dough into a cold 10-inch cast-iron fry pan. Cook the pizza dough over medium heat on the stovetop until the bottom of the pizza dough is set, about 1 to 2 minutes. Brush the entire pizza with 1 tablespoon olive oil then top with half of the onions and half of the broccoli rabe.
- Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Carefully remove the pizza from the oven and top with half of the burrata. Return pizza to the oven and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the burrata is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of flaky sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients for remaining pizza.
- Serve immediately.