Zucchini Tomato Bake Beautiful to look at, delicious to eat. This Zucchini Tomato Bake is the perfect dish to serve when your garden is bursting with fresh produce. If you like, switch up the pesto by throwing in some dill or parsley. With a dish like this, it’s all about what you’ve got on hand in the garden.
Jump To :
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tightly packed cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup mild olive oil, plus 1 Tbs.
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated on a fine grater
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. plum tomatoes
- 8 oz. zucchini
- 8 oz. yellow squash
- ¼ red onion
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the pesto: Add the pine nuts, garlic, and basil to a blender and pulse until chopped. Then, while the blender is running, add the ¼ cup olive oil in a fine steady stream until the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Using a spatula, fold in ¾ of the grated cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the tomato, zucchini, squash, and onion into ¼-in-thick slices and place in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the pesto, tossing carefully to coat the vegetables all over. In a rectangular baking dish, layer the tomato, zucchini, squash, and onion, alternating vegetables as you layer. Sprinkle all over with the remaining grated cheese. Drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.