Spiced Chocolate Fondue The chocolate in the fondue is flavored with warm spices like cinnamon and cardamom which brings just a hint of depth of flavor to the chocolate. Serve this spiced fondue with assorted fruit, Brown Sugar Bourbon Pound Cake, or, if you’re feeling a little wild, Vanilla Bean Old-Fashioned Doughnuts.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 whole cloves Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Fruit, Grilled Brown Sugar, Bourbon Pound Cake, and/or Vanilla Bean Old-Fashioned Doughnuts
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium cast-iron petite French oven, combine the cream, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Let the spices steep into the cream for 20 minutes.
- Strain the cream, then return it to the cast-iron pot over medium-low heat, until the cream just barely simmers.
- Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and leave it for a few minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Whisk until smooth, then pour the mixture into a fondue pot.
- Serve the fondue with fruit, pound cake, or doughnuts for dipping.