Meatballs in pepper-tomato sauce This is sophisticated yet down-to-earth Mediterranean cuisine at its very best – serve with ciabatta bread so that no drop of sauce is wasted!
For the meatballs:500 g minced meat (mixed)
40 g leek, cut into thin rings
50 g bread cubes
1 tbsp butter
1 heaped tbsp each of parsley and marjoram, finely chopped
80 ml milk
140 g mozzarella cubes
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
Freshly ground black pepper
Sweet paprika powder
Olive oil for frying
For the sauce:2 red peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 clove garlic
1 sprig marjoram
400 ml unseasoned tomato juice
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Firstly, sauté the leek, parsley and bread cubes in a non-stick pan with 1 tbsp of butter, add the milk and allow to reduce. Pour into a bowl, leave to cool and chop finely.
- Mix the minced meat with the cooled mixture, add the chopped mozzarella and egg and season well with salt, pepper, paprika powder and curry. Test whether balls can be easily formed from the mixture – if the mixture is too wet, gradually add breadcrumbs until the consistency is right.
- Form 8 meatballs and fry them in hot olive oil in a non-stick pan until they are brown all over.
- In the meantime, wash and clean the peppers and chop finely. Crush the garlic with a little salt using the end of a knife, sauté in olive oil together with the chopped peppers. Season with salt and marjoram, add 400 ml of tomato juice and simmer gently with the lid on for about 15 min whilst stirring occasionally.
- To serve, arrange the meatballs in the sauce.