11 oz. ricotta cheese
1 lb spinach
1 clove garlic
¾ cup tomato puree
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flour
1 ¼ cup whole milk
6 fresh lasagna noodles
2 ounces Parmesan cheese
4 ½ oz ball of mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper
Sugar to taste (for tomato sauce)
Olive or vegetable oil for frying
Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
Cutting board, knife, frying pan, wooden spoon, sieve/fine mesh strainer, citrus juicer, medium saucepan, whisk, bowl, rubber spatula, baking dish, grater
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and finely dice onion and garlic. Chop spinach. Heat oil over medium heat in frying pan. Add half of onion and garlic, frying until translucent. Add spinach and sauté until just wilted, around 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain in a sieve/fine mesh strainer.
2. Juice the lemon. Add more oil to the frying pan, heat to medium, then sauté remaining onion and garlic until translucent. Deglaze pan with lemon juice to scrape up the tasty browned bits. Add tomato puree and tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar - a sprinkle helps balance acidity. Stir well and let simmer over medium heat until thickened.
3. For béchamel sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour and milk, stirring lightly until creamy. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Meanwhile, transfer drained spinach to a bowl and add ricotta. Mix well with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to your liking.
4. Grease the bottom of a baking dish. Add tomato sauce and half of the béchamel sauce. Next to the baking dish, place some of the spinach ricotta mixture on a lasagna sheet and carefully roll it up. Transfer the roll to the dish with the seam side facing down. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling.
5. Cover the rolls with the rest of the béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan. Tear the mozzarella ball in smaller pieces with your hands, scattering the cheese on top. Bake for around 20 minutes until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool before serving. Serve with a green salad and a loaf of Italian bread.