Stuffed Peppers Vegetables, mozzarella and tomato sauce are classic ingredients in Campania. My creation is enriched with minced veal.
5 red peppers 2 shallots 100 g basmati rice
Freshly ground black pepper
200 ml vegetable stock
4 or 5 eggs
2 sprigs each of basil, parsley and thyme
1 knife tip finely crushed garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
500 ml tomato juice
250 ml dry white wine
250 g mozzarella
400 g ground beef (or beef, pork, veal mix)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- To make the sauce, clean one pepper and cut it into cubes. Sauté the pepper cubes with the finely crushed garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Pour in the tomato juice, heat lightly and remove the sauce from the hob.
- To prepare the rice, peel the shallot and chop finely before sautéing in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the rice and quench with the white wine. Add the stock and simmer while stirring occasionally until there is no more liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Now wash the peppers, carefully remove the tops and remove the seeds and white ribs taking care not to damage the "pod".
- To make the filling, put the minced meat, eggs, chopped mozzarella and finely chopped herbs into a bowl. Mix everything together with the cooked rice.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture, push the tops firmly onto the peppers so that they are closed.
- Pour the tomato sauce into an ovenproof stock pot and put the filled peppers inside. Put on the lid and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 30 min.